Little Letter Learning - I

 

Next in line - the letter I. This one is extremely frustrating to me because there are two different ways to write it and it is confusing to little ones. Additionally, it looks like the number 1. Just a lot to try to keep straight, we have had to review it a few times to try to help her get her mind wrapped around it.

Shapes: none, I have nothing. There's the whole isosceles triangle option but a 3 year old is not ready for that, at least mine is not! 

Actions: itch - really looking for more actions that start with the letter I

Books:
  • The Invisible String - Patrice Karst
    • So, I actually had this book around when I suffered my miscarriage and it wrecked my heart. It is a really sweet book about connections with the people we love. When it talks about the people we love up in heaven is where it got me thinking about my sweet baby who we never got to meet but we still love with all our hearts. Love this book, absolutely worth reading.
  • Inside, Outside, Upside Down - Stan Berenstain
    • This is also a really good book for opposites, I did not focus on this aspect, but none the less, it will definitely be something I focus on next time I read it! Super simple, but I love me some Berenstain Bears in any form.
  • Should I Share My Ice Cream? - Mo Willems
    • So, call me crazy, I had never read any Elephant and Piggie books. This one is really adorable, we really enjoy it. This one has some sharing in it and goes through the whole process of how challenging it can be to choose to share! Which is pretty underrated in general.
  • I Can Fly - Ruth Krauss
    • A super oldie but a goody! My mama loves this book, it was her favorite when she was little, so it has become somewhat of a staple for our family...it took some looking, but ThriftBooks has been a lifesaver. We adore this book, I actually own two copies at this point. It's an imagination-based rhyming book of a little girl imagining she is different animals - we are loving it. 
  • I Love My Mommy Because - Laurel Porter-Gaylord
    • Another Imagination Library book. Super sweet book again with a bunch of different animals and how their mamas love them - playing in the mud, reading stories, lots of different activities mamas do with their babies. It is really adorable and the pictures are sweet.
  • I Love My Daddy - Giles Andreae
    • Okay, so this was a random buy at TJMaxx and I really like it! "I think he's funny...so does he!" is probably my favorite line in the book. Lots of fun little daddy activities which align correctly with my experiences with my dad as well as my children's experiences with theirs!
  • Ice Cream Face - Heidi Woodward Sheffield
    • Imagination Library again! Ice Cream Face is not one of my favorites, that being said, Bean really enjoys it, so it made the list. Basically a kid is talking about how much he loves ice cream, so he is watching all the faces around him. Again, some sharing involved although, I am not really a fan of the whole concept at the end, but again, it is what it is! She loves it and it does not have anything terribly abhorrent, so I have no reason to get rid of it! If you do not have it, I do not think this is one I would get from the library.
Okay, there we go, diary entry number four of my teaching my little girl her letters. She is very sweet and has been learning them so well since we have picked up this method. The books are certainly her favorite part, we were coloring today and she asked if we could read books after she colored, she was very excited when the answer was yes! We took a week off last week to review some letters she has been struggling with and I did not have any books, so now that we are back to reading she is a very happy camper. I am telling you, books are the way to make babies love learning and foster imagination. We will see what happens with Brother Boogie. 

- Mama

Comments

Popular Posts