Little Letter Learning - L (and O)

 


Letters 15 and 16...although the letter "O" is just going to mentioned because it is number 15. She learned that one on her own. I did absolutely nothing, she just started pointing it out. So we colored a letter to put on the wall and it was over, moved on to the letter "L". I actually liked this one. It would be fair for me to mention we are only doing capital letters. I don't know if I mentioned that yet, but it is the case. We will probably just do lower-case when we learn to read more than on their own. I think she has probably caught on to a lot of them, but there are some we will need to go over I am sure.

Shapes: nothing.

Actions: leap, lunge, laugh

Books: 

  • Goodnight Lulu - Paulette Bogan
    •  I really enjoyed this book...mainly because I could 100% relate to the mama. It was so cute. Lulu is very concerned about different animals coming to get her, the ending is really cute and involves some noticing as you read. Bean loved it. I'm bummed the copy we got from the library was a little damaged, this made me keep it up on the shelf so Boogs does not have access, but she enjoys it when I get it down!
  • Tawny Scrawny Lion - Kathryn Jackson
    • I think we have firmly established my love of Little Golden Books if you have read my other posts but JUST IN CASE...I love them so much. This one is sweet, a change of diet is all the lion needs for a change of hear too! How cool is that? I thought this one was extra cute.
  • Library Lion - Michelle Knudsen
    • If this book was only pictures I would still love it. The drawings are incredible. I enjoy the story as well! The lion goes into the library one day and really enjoys the story time, but he doesn't know the rules. Once he does, he starts helping around the library so he can enjoys story time as well! Most people enjoy having him there and he mostly follows the rules, but when he breaks a rule he is ashamed. After a few days of him not being there, he is tracked down by an unlikely library worker and returns to work.
  • Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse - Kevin Henkes
    • I am on the fence on this book. It most likely will not be staying on the list. Pretty pushy on the whole teacher thing and I really do not want her to be encouraged to be one, to be honest. Teaching is a really great profession, but the whole class wants to be a teacher, they idolize the teacher, Lilly especially and I just do not want my kids to be pushed in this specific direction. There are so many honorable careers, I want my kids to explore their own unique talents, not try to hone someone else's. Additionally - it was a super shallow book. Just not terribly worthwhile.
  • Lola At The Library - Anna McQuinn
    • I do NOT know where we got this book but I love it. My daughter was saying "cappuccino" at 22 months because of this one. It was super cute and she absolutely loved it while we were in the hospital after having our son. We enjoy this book. Very pro-library and super sweet. 
  • Llama Llama Red Pajama - Anna Dewdney
    • Another classic. I will not say I am a big fan of the Llama Llama books in general, I am very picky about them because I think that Llama Llama can be an absolute brat. This one is a good one though. I also like the one where he visit his grandma and grandpa and the babysitter one is cute as well!
  • The Listening Walk - Paul Showers
    • We just read this one and I thought it was sweet! Great story about listening instead of talking and making noise, noticing the world around you. This is a skill a lot of kids do not have in this super media-focused world we have right now. I thought this was a great book to bring the kids back to these values. Of course, Bean is a little too small to know exactly what she is hearing all the time, she is only three, so we will continue to work on it.
  • Little Blue Truck - Alice Schertle
    • Pretty sure I have chatted about this one before. Boogs is the reason we have this one because boy books are a little hard to find and we have had a ton of girl books until he came around, but Bean LOVES these books as well. The whole series is fun, so just enjoy them all, especially if you have boys!
We cut this one a little short, did it in two days instead of three! I think it's the second letter we did that way but I don't remember which other one we shortened...maybe D? Oddly enough, she keeps saying "D" is the letter "B" which we have not learned yet, but I think she will be excited when we do learn it! It should be coming up soon...maybe next week or something? We are getting there so quickly, I think she will be very disappointed when we take a break for the "summer"...which probably will not be until the end of July, but we will make it. Really, it takes 15 minutes and she absolutely loves it, so it is not a big burden for us. Since we started in January it will just take us a little while! September we will probably start just normal so it doesn't last until the middle of the summer. Hopefully you are not going to be caught in this cycle like we are!

- Mama

Comments

Popular Posts